Thursday, January 08, 2009

 

Father John Neuhaus

A few years ago my father gave me a gift subscription to the monthly, First Things, of which Father John Neuhaus was Editor-In-Chief. I was certainly familiar with Fr. Neuhaus and knew of First Things but had never personally connected much with either. I quickly realized that that was to my intellectual detriment. Ever since, First Things has been a monthly must-read esp. Father Neuhaus’ excellent Public Square writings.

It is no exaggeration to state that Fr. Neuhaus has been one of the most important Pro-life speakers of ours or any time. He has also been a leading unapologetic Catholic voice here in the US when one has been sorely needed.

Unfortunately, I write “has” because Fr. Neuhaus passed away today at the age of 72. Count me among the many that recognize this as a very real loss of a great man.

Death Announcement: FIRST THINGS: A Journal of Religion, Culture, and Public Life

Other tributes:

A Tribute to Father Neuhaus - Peter Wehner

Richard John Neuhaus - Yuval Levin

Neuhaus - Ramesh Ponnuru

Commentary » Blog Archive » Richard John Neuhaus, 1936-2009 (John Podhoretz)

Other info: Richard J. Neuhaus Online (links to many of his writings)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Preview on Feedage: maryland-conservatarian
Add to Windows Live iPing-it