Monday, November 17, 2008

 

Maryland's own Devin Brown...

….helped Holy Cross defeat St. Joseph’s at the Hart Center in Worcester, MA. Beating St. Joe’s is always a good win but this one was esp. sweet because it came in front of some of the biggest names ever to play for Holy Cross - Bob Cousy, Tommy Heinsohn, Togo Polazzi and George Kaftan – on the occasion of the retirement of their jersey’s.

Holy Cross Defeats St. Joseph's 73-69 In Overtime :: Four Crusaders score in double-figures.

A perspective on the incredible influence these guys had on the school and the game: Holy Cross honors some of its classiest - The Boston Globe

Side Note: In the it’s-all-about-me category, the Globe article’s author, Dan Shaughnessy, was the sport’s editor at Holy Cross my freshman year. I wrote a few articles for him and when people sometimes ask why I never pursued sports writing (well, a couple have asked) I always point to that experience…which in no way is a knock on Dan. I was (and am) the biggest “homer” when it comes to sports and my biases – esp. against the likes of BC, Duke and all teams with first-names “New York” – would have shone through every writing. He correctly identified that as not a good thing.

I’ve run into Dan a few times in the ensuing years (he covered the Orioles for the Washington Star years ago before hitting the big time with the Globe) and he has always been gracious. I remain thrilled for his success even if he is a bit too friendly towards BC for my taste.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Preview on Feedage: maryland-conservatarian
Add to Windows Live iPing-it