Thursday, January 25, 2007

 

"We don't care who won; we're still trashing Karl Rove"

From today’s Washington Post coverage of the Scooter Libby trial:

Weeks later, Grenier said he saw Plame's name revealed in Robert D. Novak's syndicated column and figured that it was the work of the White House. In fact, Armitage and Rove have acknowledged that they were Novak's sources.” Ex-CIA Official Testifies About Libby's Calls

When did Karl Rove acknowledge he was Robert Novak’s source? And why would he? At worst, he only inadvertently confirmed what Mr. Novak already knew:

“At the end of that 15- or 20-minute call, according to the lawyer, Novak said he had learned that Wilson's wife worked for the CIA.

"I heard that, too," Rove replied, according to the lawyer, confirming the Times account.” Rove Confirmed Plame Indirectly, Lawyer Says

And what Mr. Novak knew was directly on account of what Richard Armitage told him; Richard Armitage was the source:

“He says he was reading Novak's newspaper column again, on Oct. 1, 2003, and "he said he was told by a non-partisan gun slinger."

"I almost immediately called Secretary Powell and said, 'I'm sure that was me,'" Armitage says.

"Armitage immediately met with FBI agents investigating the leak. "I told them that I was the inadvertent leak," Armitage says." Armitage On CIA Leak: 'I Screwed Up', CBS Exclusive: Interview With Man Who 'Outed' CIA Agent Valerie Plame - CBS News


And let’s not forget how Robert Novak – the “leakee” reported it: Robert D. Novak - Armitage's Leak - washingtonpost.com

“The news that [Armitage], and not Karl Rove, was the leaker was devastating for the left.”

Duberstein told me Armitage wanted to know whether he was my source. I did not reply because I was sure that Armitage knew he was the source.”

“Armitage's silence for the next 2 1/2 years caused intense pain for his colleagues in government and enabled partisan Democrats in Congress to falsely accuse Rove of being my primary source.”

I guess trashing Karl Rove is just instinctive among much of the press.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Preview on Feedage: maryland-conservatarian
Add to Windows Live iPing-it