Wednesday, December 20, 2006

 

A TIME-ly honor

Proudly hanging in my home is a framed copy of my first Time Magazine “Man of the Year” designation. TIME Person of the Year: Covers Through the Ages, the Sixties. (and don’t be fooled by their newfound PC-ness; not once in the 60’s does Time refer to a “Person of the Year”)

Recognize me? Look at 1966. That year they honored “Twenty Five and Under” and, well, I was under Twenty Five so I proudly appropriated the cover as my own. That award has bucked me up many a time when I was otherwise down and I am convinced that it’s been the extra oomph on the resume that’s separated me from the pack in many of my job searches.

And you're right, I wrote “first…designation”. Now garnering such prestigious recognition is enough for any one lifetime so imagine my delight when I found out that I was a repeat winner. Yep, I did it again. I first found this out when I read a rant about the honor by fellow MBA-blogger Crablaw: Person of the Year is You Because "You Is A Blogger" (warning - incivility by Crablaw in post)

True, as his title intimates, I’m sharing this recognition with millions (more probably, hundreds of millions) but unlike that ingrate Crablaw, I appreciate Time’s recognition of my efforts. And I am thrilled to be sharing this honor with so many of you.

For the curious, here’s the link to the Cover and the Cover Story:

"Person of the Year: You Yes, you. You control the Information Age. Welcome to your world"

You should be very proud.

Of course, on every parade…. Those killjoys over at National Review Online have their own take on the designation, not seeming to recognize that Time is honoring THEM too.

Oh well, enough blogging for now; got to go and add another bullet to my resume.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Preview on Feedage: maryland-conservatarian
Add to Windows Live iPing-it