Saturday, May 20, 2006

 

Preakness Day Picks

I’ve taken a brief hiatus from blogging as I prepare for one of the great weekends of the year: Preakness Weekend in Baltimore. Today I walked to the track to enjoy Black-Eyed Susan Day and nailed one winner and one exacta…unfortunately both had pathetic payouts and I ended the day with a little less in the pocket than I started with…that’ll happen when you go three straight races where you’re holding exactas that come in 2nd and 3rd.

But hope springs eternal and I’ve been busy poring over the Form looking for my winning bets….and I’m going to share my findings with the world so that I can crow about them if I hit a few…and if I don’t, well, I can always delete the posting later.

May 20, 2006 Pimlico: 13 Races; first post 10:30 AM

  1. #9 Roth Ticket

  2. #3 Regent Spirit
I like those two for a decent Daily Double
  1. #9 Two Terms…but I continue to look at #8: Serious Lightning (#12 Ten Across may be fun in an exotic)

  2. I lean to #9 – Due…but just barely over #1 – Off the Glass and #10 – Evil Storm

  3. #7 My Lord but am watching prices on #9 Second in Command.

  4. #3 Pagan Moon; possibly with #8 Songster and #6 Urban Guy

  5. 1A art Fan and #3 Laurafina stick out to me but I can’t ignore #7 Zona. May just be an exotic wager using #12 Smart N Classy in the three spot

  6. #2 Ah Day with #5 Little Cliff a nice addition to an exacta

  7. The toughest race on the card: I’m going with #3 Gaff but will watch the board for #6 Better Than Bonds (some value if better than 10-1)

  8. #6 Artie Schiller is the obvious pick, maybe a cold 6- 1A exacta to get any money out of this race.

  9. #7 Funny Cide – he scratched out of yesterday’s more lucrative Pimlico Special to race in this one…using #5 Andromeda’s Hero for the exacta.

  10. The Preakness: #6 Barbaro is clearly the class of the race but will probably go off at less than even-money. Brother Derek and Sweetnorthernsaint are the obvious two and three choices. Maybe using the #1 Like Now in the second spot for the exacta could make a few bucks but more likely in the three spot on the trifecta.

  11. #8 Timely Bid – for no apparent reason but I’ll be in no rush to get out of there after the Preakness.

Of course a discussion for another time is the ridiculous nanny-state attitude of certain elected officials (Mike Busch) that are keeping slots out of Maryland but not keeping Maryland dollars out of slots….but I’ll save that rant for another time.

Comments:
It's not the nanny state mentality of Michael Busch; it's the partisan shark mentality of Busch.
The minute there's a Democratic governor who supports slots (and I suspect that if either O'Malley or Duncan wins, we will have one in 2007) Busch will "grow" and discover the benefits of slots. He knows that the slots issue is a winning issue and wishes to keep Ehrlich from gaining any sort of advantage.
 
While Mike Busch will never be my poster boy for integrity, I understand that he has family experience with vices gone awry which partly explains his ferverence on this matter...although I consider that an incredibly arrogant excuse for denying people the freedom to do with their money as they like.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Preview on Feedage: maryland-conservatarian
Add to Windows Live iPing-it